Getting the right attorney is never an easy task. You know how unforgiving the legal system can be without proper representation, so be sure to get answers to all the questions on this page so you know you’re getting the representation you deserve!
Remember, no lawyer, no matter the training or experience, can promise you any certain outcome in your DUI case. All cases are unique. We will not promise results we cannot guarantee. Above all else, we will always be honest with you.
Here are some of the questions you should ask when selecting a DUI lawyer.
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR DUI LAWYER
- Have you ever prosecuted DUI’s? Don’t you want an attorney who knows the opponent’s playbook inside and out? Who fully understands both sides of the case?
- Have you attended any scientific training courses offered by the American Chemical Society? Not only is Mr. Thurston an actual member of this organization, he was the first lawyer in the state of Kansas who has been awarded the ACS’s Forensic Lawyer Scientist Certificate
- Have you attended the Mastering Scientific Evidence course for DUI cases conducted by the National College for DUI Defense? Lawyers who ignore the significant science aspect of DUI defense do so at their clients’ peril. Mr. Thurston and Mr. Addair have completed this course multiple times.
- Have you instructed other attorneys on DUI defense?
- Are you certified in Standardized Field Sobriety Tests administration?
- Have you received actual law enforcement DUI training on field sobriety testing and breath testing?
- Have you received specific training on the Intoxilyzer breath testing contraption?
- Are you a member of any national DUI bar associations? Mr. Addair is a Founding Member of the DUI Defense Lawyers Association. Mr. Thurston is a Charter Member and served as the first Vice President of DUIDLA
- Do you have instant access to the most experienced DUI attorneys and experts in the nation?
- Do you have successful trial experience in DUI defenses?
- Do you have successful experience in fighting DUI blood tests?
- Have you specialized training to understand blood testing?
- Has the press contacted you for your insight and opinions involving criminal defense?
- Do you get referrals from former clients? We regularly receive referrals from former clients as well as other attorneys, judges, prosecutors, and even police officers.
- Have you handled a wide variety of different types of DUI cases? Cases with high breath tests? Cases with injury accidents?
- Have you successfully defended cases alleging driving under the influence of drugs, not alcohol?
- Have you ever handled DUI cases in Federal Court or the Appellate Courts?
- Will you handle my case to will you have another attorney in your office do some or all of the work?
- Will you be available by phone or email to answer my questions about the case?
- Is your practice limited to criminal defense?
LEARN MORE ABOUT DUI DEFENSE
A DUI charge can affect both your freedom and your right to drive. We fight hard to protect both. Our attorneys are former DUI prosecutors who have handled thousands of cases. Our DUI Defense resources are always growing – if this is a topic that affects you or someone you care about you can learn more by visiting our DUI Defense page.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION TODAY
This might be the most important decision you will have to make if charged with a DUI. Make sure your lawyer has the training and experience to give you the best possible defense.
While we normally meet in person, during the COVID-19 period we meet with you by zoom video conference call or by phone. Let’s start the process today.